Aims and Objectives
Having successfully completed this module you will be able to:
- Critically discuss contemporary ethical, legal, professional and philosophical influences on the nature of person-centred values based practice care
- Outline theories of normal and abnormal personality development.
- Analyse the significance of the therapeutic relationship in improving the wellbeing of a person who portrays behaviour that challenges.
- Articulate the role of the nurse in providing care for a person who portrays behaviour that challenges.
- Debate the contribution of policy and ethics to providing person-centred values based practice.
- Discuss the role of reflection and supervision in providing effective care.
- Theories of normal and abnormal personality development
- Personality disorders, e.g. borderline personality disorder
- Attachment in children and young people
- Learning disabilities and forensic mental health
- Therapeutic use of self within clear boundaries to establish an effective working relationship
- Risk assessment and positive risk management
- Managing challenging behaviour, e.g. verbal and physical
- Substance misuse
- Effects of abuse and managing those who abuse
- Dialectical Behaviour Therapy, Mindfulness and Chain Analysis
- Legal and ethical aspects of care in forensic psychiatry
- Group work
- Reflection and supervision
Learning and Teaching
Teaching and learning methods
Lectures, skills workshops and seminars
Student presentations and case discussions
|Preparation for scheduled sessions||10|
|Practical classes and workshops||10|
|Total study time||187|
Resources & Reading list
Walker S (2014). Engagement and Therapeutic Communication. London: Sage.
Roberts M (2015). Critical thinking and Reflection for Mental Health Students. London: Sage.
Walker S, Carpenter D & Middlewick Y (2013). Assessment and Decision Making in Mental Health Nursing. London: Sage.
Thompson M, Hooper C, Laver-Bradbury C & Gale C (2012). Child and Adolescent Mental Health. Theory and Practice. London: Hodder Arnold.
This is how we’ll formally assess what you have learned in this module.
This is how we’ll assess you if you don’t meet the criteria to pass this module.
Repeat type: Internal & External