Aims and Objectives
Having successfully completed this module you will be able to:
- Achieve the completion of EU, NMC and programme requirements
- Demonstrate attendance in clinical practice to meet the minimum requirement of clinical hours
- Demonstrate the maintenance of professional behaviour as outlined in the NMC competencies of P5 and P6
This is a core module for attendance and the completion of required skills and EU and programme requirements. This module is not assessed. It is a course requirement to meet the NMC requirements of 45 programmed weeks per year with a minimum of 50% in clinical practice.
Learning and Teaching
Teaching and learning methods
- Practice experience is supported by direct supervision from Practice Supervisor/Assessor and other professionals. Although you have supernumerary status you are expected to be involved in direct care. Opportunities exist in each practice experience for you to arrange additional learning experiences to meet your learning needs.
- Application of Research to Practice workshops (1 day per practice experience)
- Clinical Review and Reflection seminars (2 days per practice experience)
- Blackboard/on-line resources
- Academic support in practice student and Practice Assessor progress review (2 hours per student)
|Total study time||188|
Resources & Reading list
• Access to the local maternity services and where appropriate, the wider health and social care services, for theoretical and skills rehearsal/ achievement• 2 x Clinical Skills Days with midwifery student practice educator• 1x Research in Practice day with researcher • Practice Supervisor/Assessor, student and Academic Assessor or delegate tripartite discussion in clinical practice (1 hour per student).
Care Quality Commission (2010). Essential Standards for Quality and Safety. Care Quality Commission.
NMC (2009). Standards for Pre-registration Midwifery Education. London: NMC.
NMC (2010). Guidance on Conduct for Nursing and Midwifery Students. London: NMC.
NMC (2008). The Code: Standards of Conduct Performance and Ethics for Nurses and Midwives. London: NMC.
NMC (2012). Midwives Rules and Standards. London: NMC.
NMC (2009). Record Keeping: Guidance for Nurses and Midwives. London: NMC.
This is a pass / fail for attendance and professional behaviour
This is how we’ll formally assess what you have learned in this module.
|Declaration of attendance||50%|
|Completion of skills at required level||50%|
This is how we’ll assess you if you don’t meet the criteria to pass this module.
|Completion of skills at required level||100%|
Repeat type: Internal