The practice experience provides a work-based environment to enable you to apply the theoretical knowledge and skills learnt in academic module/s, and to develop, consolidate, and enhance the practice knowledge, skills and attitudes required for a midwife. Modular learning outcomes tested through a practice based assessment and specified essential skills must be achieved in each placement.
Aims and Objectives
Having successfully completed this module you will be able to:
- Demonstrate achievement of core competencies
- Demonstrate best midwifery practice by working in partnership with women, their families and other professionals
- Demonstrate the ability to communicate safely and effectively with women and families
- Critically reflect and practice in a manner which promotes the rights of the individual
- Synthesize evidence to inform practice
- Act as an advocate for women meeting the requirements of the Nursing and Midwifery Council
- Demonstrate the ability to communicate and work within and across the interprofessional team
Nursing and Midwifery Council Pre-registration Standards
School and programme requirements
Programme threads are linked throughout and include:
- Baby Friendly principles
- Medicines management
- Mental health and well-being
- Values Based Journey
Learning and Teaching
Teaching and learning methods
- Practice experience is supported by direct supervision from mentors and other professionals. Although you have supernumerary status you are expected to be involved in direct care. Opportunities exist in each practice experience for you to arrange additional learning experiences to meet your learning needs
- Application of research to practice workshops (1 day per practice experience)
- Reflection seminar (1 days per practice experience)
- Online resources including alps website Southampton.ac.uk/alps/
- Academic support in practice, student and mentor progress review
Covering a range of shift patterns over a 24 hour period Monday to Sunday inclusive
|Completion of assessment task||3|
|Practical classes and workshops||15|
|Total study time||375|
Resources & Reading list
Electronic Assessment of Practice Document (EAoPP)
You will have access to EAoPP programme as will your mentor throughout the practice experience. This forms the basis of regular discussions of learning needs and also ensures records of achievement are completed regularly.
Each practice experience requires an assessment. The assessment must be overseen by a qualified midwife mentor/assessor. Sufficient time should be set aside to complete the assessment. Assessments should be carried out within the context of practice so that evidence of skills, attitudes and knowledge is captured. It may be appropriate to use a combination of assessment methods e.g. questioning and/or direct observation. Questioning allows the mentor to assess knowledge and attitudes, whilst observation measures accuracy of practice and level of autonomy.
Interim review: Formative assessment
As part of the assessment for the module, mentors will complete a formative (practice) assessment using P5 assessment. Results will be discussed with you at the time of completion to ensure timely feedback so that where identified, there are opportunities to improve prior to the summative assessment. Where learning needs are identified, feedback should be delivered with sensitivity and in a manner which will enhance learning. Learning needs should be made explicit in the comments section and should be written by both student and mentor following the assessment.
Final Review: Summative assessment
Near to the end of practice experience (or at least following a minimum of four weeks in one placement area) a summative assessment is completed of the P5 assessment. Results will be discussed with you at the time of completion to ensure timely feedback. Where learning needs are identified, feedback should be delivered with sensitivity and in a manner which will enhance learning. Comments should be written by both you and mentor following the assessment. If a refer is recorded, any learning needs must be documented and made explicit in the comments section. This will be undertaken in tandem with your personal academic tutor.
This is how we’ll give you feedback as you are learning. It is not a formal test or exam.EAoPP skills competencies
This is how we’ll formally assess what you have learned in this module.
|EAoPP NMC competencies||100%|
This is how we’ll assess you if you don’t meet the criteria to pass this module.
|EAoPP NMC competencies||100%|