This module forms part of the Pre-sessional Programme. Within this module, you will develop a set of skills, strategies and techniques that will collectively contribute to your understanding of learner autonomy in a UK Higher Education environment. This professional skills set is transferable and will be valuable not only in the immediate context but also in your further education and employment.
Aims and Objectives
Having successfully completed this module you will be able to:
- Employ critical researching skills
- Understand and effectively use digital tools and systems to enhance your learning
- Understand strategies for learning such as time-management, organisation and motivation
- Understand what is expected of you as an autonomous learner in the UK Higher Education system.
- Reflect on your individual learning styles and employ methods to aid your own learning
- Employ referencing conventions and have a general knowledge of referencing management software
- Efficiently and effectively identify reliable sources appropriate for your discipline
The Independent Learning syllabus covers a variety of topics including developing awareness of critical thinking in your seminar skills, research skills and exam strategies. You will also focus on reflection to improve language learning and time management.
Learning and Teaching
Teaching and learning methods
You will experience a wide variety of teaching and learning methods including: workshops; individual, pair and group work in class; set tasks to be completed outside class; use of technology for learning; advising sessions.
|Practical classes and workshops||44|
|Total study time||110|
Resources & Reading list
Lowes, R, Peters, H, and Turner, M. The International Student’s Guide: Studying English at University..
Reinders, H, Moore, N, and Lewis, M. The International Student Handbook..
Cottrell, S. The Study Skills Handbook (Third Edition).
Northedge, A. The Good Study Guide..
Pears, R, and Shields, G. Cite Them Right: The Essential Referencing Guide (Eighth Edition)..
This is how we’ll give you feedback as you are learning. It is not a formal test or exam.Set exercises - non-exam