The module will provide an introduction to theories of leadership, leadership in the field of education, teacher instructional leadership for capacity building and leadership for learning to sustain school improvement.
Aims and Objectives
Having successfully completed this module you will be able to:
- Apply theories and models of leadership to a variety of educational contexts and practices
- Critically reflect on your own leadership practices.
- Critically assess contemporary issues emerging in the area of educational leadership
- Critically examine how such theories influence specific leadership processes adopted within an institution or organisation
- Apply theories and models to a variety of educational settings and contexts
- Critically reflect on your own leadership skills and experience and/or those demonstrated in a context/individual with which you are familiar
- Appreciate the role of attitudes, values and social and cultural influences in leadership
- Engage with high quality research in the area of educational leadership and management
- Appreciate existing theories and models of leadership
- Analyse the role of the leader in the processes of organisational change and development
- Evaluate the main theories of leadership
- Communicate your own ideas and arguments effectively in written and oral forms.
Theories of leadership including: hierarchical, distributed, contingency, authentic, situational, transformational. Understanding organisational change and development.
Learning and Teaching
Teaching and learning methods
Lectures, workshops (including those with common institutional and cross institutional focus), seminars, small group tutorials.
|Preparation for scheduled sessions||12|
|Wider reading or practice||60|
|Completion of assessment task||80|
|Total study time||200|
This is how we’ll formally assess what you have learned in this module.
This is how we’ll assess you if you don’t meet the criteria to pass this module.
Repeat type: Internal & External