This module introduces the profession of Clinical Psychology with a specific focus on the core roles and responsibilities of a Clinical Psychologist. It comprises three related areas (1) the basic principles and skills underpinning professional practice as a Clinical Psychologist (2) ethical issues relating to that practice (3) core generic clinical skills. By doing this, the module provides the fundamental grounding for your first placement.
Aims and Objectives
Having successfully completed this module you will be able to:
- demonstrate the ability to respond to professional and ethical dilemmas in a flexible and appropriate way
- demonstrate awareness of the key roles and responsibilities of a Clinical Psychologist, including key legislative frameworks
- demonstrate your knowledge of and had the opportunity to show skill in the practice of core generic clinical/therapy skills
- demonstrate awareness of the reasons for and importance of your personal and professional development (and your development as reflective scientist practitioners) and have critically reflected on the interaction between these and on your practice.
The syllabus is organised around the following three areas:
1. Basic principles and skills underpinning professional practice as a clinical psychologist
- History of Clinical Psychology & Core purpose and philosophy
- Competencies model of training & preparation for placement
- Core skills (e.g., note taking, report writing, electronic records systems)
- Legal frameworks guiding Clinical Psychology practice
2. Ethical issues relating to clinical practice
- Code of ethics and professional conduct
- Frameworks guiding ethical practice
- Practical ethical issues (e.g., confidentiality, risk, whistleblowing, safeguarding vulnerable adults / children)
- Use of supervision
3. Core generic clinical skills.
- Introduction to counselling skills
- Risk assessment and management framework
- Diagnostic frameworks
- Social Constructionism
- Personal and Professional development
- Relapse and recovery
Learning and Teaching
Teaching and learning methods
The module will involve teaching through lectures, experiential exercises (both group and individual), and written exercises. Most of the teaching will be delivered through a workshop format with a strong element of experiential/action learning and where possible input from service users. The teaching sessions will be delivered either at the University or via a remote platform such as Teams.
|Total study time||100|
Resources & Reading list
Hough, M (2014). Counselling skills and theory. Hodder Education.
Youngson, S. & Hughes, J. (2009). Personal Development and Clinical Psychology. West Sussex: Blackwell.
Division of Clinical Psychology (2010). The Core Purpose and Philosophy of the Profession. Leicester: BPS.
Hall, J., Pilgrim, D. & Turpin, G. (2015). Clinical Psychology in Britain: Historical Perspectives.. Leicester: British Psychological Society.
Division of Clinical Psychological (2010). Clinical Psychology Leadership Development Framework.. Leicester: BPS.
Health and Care Professions Council (2015). Standards of proficiency - Practitioner psychologists. London: HCPC.
British Psychological Society (2009). Code of ethics and conduct. Leicester: BPS.
Beinart, H., Kennedy, P. & Llewelyn, S. (2009). Clinical Psychology in Practice. West Sussex: BPS Blackwell.
Barlow, D. H. (2011). Oxford Handbook of Clinical Psychology.. New York: Oxford University Press.
British Psychological Society (2008). Generic professional practice guidelines. Leicester: BPS.
Department of Health (2007). New ways of working for applied psychologists in health and social care. The end of the beginning: Summary report.
Health and Care Professions Council (2016). Guidance on conduct and ethics for students. London: HCPC.
This is how we’ll give you feedback as you are learning. It is not a formal test or exam.Small Group Discussion
This is how we’ll formally assess what you have learned in this module.
|Video Recorded Roleplay||100%|
This is how we’ll assess you if you don’t meet the criteria to pass this module.
Repeat type: Internal