Aims and Objectives
Having successfully completed this module you will be able to:
- Apply the mathematical techniques identified above to common problems in Earth and ocean science.
- Describe Earth and ocean science problems in a quantitative manner.
- Recognise that the above mathematical techniques can be used to solve common Earth and ocean science problems.
- Apply the above mathematical techniques to solve Earth and ocean science problems to the level that you will encounter in your 1st and 2st year modules.
- Solve basic mathematical problems using the following mathematical techniques: 1. Numbers, units and physical quantities 2. Basic arithmetic and algebra 3. Exponential and logarithmic functions 4. More advanced algebra 5. Basic trigonometry 6. Basic vector algebra 7. Basic differentiation 8. Basic integration 9. Probability and statistics
- Solve basic mathematical problems using the mathematical techniques identified above.
This module will teach you the basic mathematical skills necessary to quantitatively describe common earth and ocean science problems. At the end of the module you will be able to apply these mathematical techniques to earth and ocean science problems that you will encounter in your first and second year modules.
Learning and Teaching
Teaching and learning methods
Short introductory lectures: will provide you with the skills necessary to solve basic mathematical problems and show you how to apply these skills to common earth and ocean science problems.
Short practical exercises: will immediately follow the lectures and are aimed at cementing your knowledge of the basic mathematical skills and helping you apply this knowledge to common earth and ocean science problems.
A wide range of support can be provided for those students who have further or specific learning and teaching needs.
|Total study time||150|
Summative assessment description