About this course
Choosing the correct materials is crucial to the success or failure of an engineering project. On this 4-year, integrated master's, you'll explore the properties and uses of common and new mechanical engineering materials. You'll develop the skills to design materials and surfaces, from the atomic level up to their application. This advanced course will help you find a rewarding career as a Chartered Engineer.
This course focuses on mechanics, structures and materials, and how they are managed. It will inspire you to use your knowledge and skills to address real mechanical and material engineering needs in society, in areas like:
You'll explore material use, including their design and manufacture, and you'll study how they behave throughout their service.
As part of this course you can:
showcase your work in our annual Engineering Design Show
choose from a range of optional modules, including microstructural and surface characterisation, and aircraft structures
put your skills into practice with an individual project and final year group design project
work with students from other engineering specialisms
The course draws on research from the Engineering Materials Research Group, which is actively involved in a broad range of activities in the advanced materials field.
You can take this course with an additional year-long, paid placement. Apply with UCAS code H3H1 for the Industrial Placement Year option.
We're a designated university for the Defence Technical Undergraduate Scheme (DTUS).
This course is fully accredited by the Institution of Mechanical Engineers and offers a route to chartered status.
If you’d prefer a more general approach, or you’d like to focus on a different specialism, you can choose from our other pathways.
- Mechanical Engineering
- Our 4-year MEng Mechanical Engineering master’s degree is a pathway to chartered engineer status. Gain specialist knowledge and work for a year in industry.
- Mechanical Engineering / Acoustical Engineering
- On our Meng Mechanical Engineering and Acoustical Engineering master’s degree study subjects from reducing aircraft noise to optimising sound for music venues.
- Mechanical Engineering / Aerospace Engineering
- We have offered aerospace engineering degrees since the 1930s. Join many graduates who have secured successful careers in the space industry or defence sector.
- Mechanical Engineering / Automotive Engineering
- Prepare for a career in automotive electronic engineering with this master's. Specialise in race cars, propulsion, structural design and automotive electronics.
- Mechanical Engineering / Biomedical Engineering
- On our Meng Mechanical Engineering / Biomedical Engineering degree explore human factors in engineering with biological and medical healthcare technology.
- Mechanical Engineering / Engineering Management
- Gain technical skills, and learn how to manage process, people and finances. This degree will prepare you for a career in mechanical engineering management.
- Mechanical Engineering / Mechatronics
- Integrate mechanical and mechatronics engineering to create innovative products, from autonomous robots to self-driving cars. Become a Chartered Engineer.
- Mechanical Engineering / Naval Engineering
- Apply your engineering knowledge to marine environments with a naval engineering degree. Design ships and maritime craft for the Royal Navy and private sector.
- Mechanical Engineering / Sustainable Energy Systems
- Gain in-depth training in renewable energy engineering, such as wind turbines, solar cells, batteries and fuel cells. Graduate with strong engineering skills.
This qualification is awarded by the University of Southampton.
Download the programme specification
The programme specification sets out the learning outcomes of this course and details how the course is taught and assessed.