About this course
Learn to apply your engineering knowledge to the oceans, and design cutting-edge ships and other marine craft. We have collaborated with the Royal Navy to develop this 4-year, integrated master's degree. Here you'll develop mechanical engineering skills, then specialise a marine environment. This naval engineering degree will equip you to work as in engineer in the Navy as well as the private sector.
Naval engineering is both a craft and a science. This course covers both aspects and prepares you for a successful career in this specialised field.
This 4-year degree provides the core topics you need to master mechanical engineering. You'll specialise in:
marine craft concept design
You'll use our design workshops, studios and facilities including the largest university towing tank in the UK.
As part of this course you can:
specialise in areas that interest you, from offshore engineering to advanced management
take a work placement to boost your academic performance, and prepare for your career
showcase your work in our annual Engineering Design Show
visit sites to experience engineering in practice
You can take this course with an additional, year-long, paid placement. Apply with UCAS code H3H5 for the Industrial Placement Year option.
We're a designated university for the Defence Technical Undergraduate Scheme (DTUS).
This MEng Mechanical Engineering (Naval Engineering) degree is fully accredited by the Institution of Mechanical Engineers and offers a route to chartered status.
If you’d prefer a more general approach, or you’d like to focus on a different specialism, you can choose from our other pathways.
- Mechanical Engineering
- Our 4-year MEng Mechanical Engineering master’s degree is a pathway to chartered engineer status. Gain specialist knowledge and work for a year in industry.
- Mechanical Engineering / Acoustical Engineering
- On our Meng Mechanical Engineering and Acoustical Engineering master’s degree study subjects from reducing aircraft noise to optimising sound for music venues.
- Mechanical Engineering / Aerospace Engineering
- We have offered aerospace engineering degrees since the 1930s. Join many graduates who have secured successful careers in the space industry or defence sector.
- Mechanical Engineering / Automotive Engineering
- Prepare for a career in automotive electronic engineering with this master's. Specialise in race cars, propulsion, structural design and automotive electronics.
- Mechanical Engineering / Biomedical Engineering
- On our Meng Mechanical Engineering / Biomedical Engineering degree explore human factors in engineering with biological and medical healthcare technology.
- Mechanical Engineering / Engineering Management
- Gain technical skills, and learn how to manage process, people and finances. This degree will prepare you for a career in mechanical engineering management.
- Mechanical Engineering / Materials
- Become a Chartered Engineer with this MEng Mechanical and Materials Engineering degree. Explore material design and manufacture, and gain industry experience.
- Mechanical Engineering / Mechatronics
- Integrate mechanical and mechatronics engineering to create innovative products, from autonomous robots to self-driving cars. Become a Chartered Engineer.
- Mechanical Engineering / Sustainable Energy Systems
- Gain in-depth training in renewable energy engineering, such as wind turbines, solar cells, batteries and fuel cells. Graduate with strong engineering skills.
This qualification is awarded by the University of Southampton.
Download the programme specification
The programme specification sets out the learning outcomes of this course and details how the course is taught and assessed.