The practice experience provides a work-based environment to enable you to apply the theoretical knowledge and skills learnt in academic module/s, and to develop, consolidate, and enhance the practice knowledge, skills and attitudes required for a midwife. Modular learning outcomes tested through a practice based assessment and specified essential skills must be achieved in each placement.
Aims and Objectives
Having successfully completed this module you will be able to:
- Demonstrate the ability to communicate safely and effectively with women and families.
- Demonstrate the ability to work effectively in the inter-professional team.
- Successfully complete a Drugs Calculation test.
- Achieve the required Professional Competencies.
- Demonstrate best midwifery practice by working in partnership with women, their families and other professionals.
- Critically reflect and practise in a manner which promotes the rights of the individual.
- Act as an advocate for women meeting the requirements of the Nursing and Midwifery Council.
- Synthesize evidence to inform practice.
Nursing and Midwifery Council Pre-registration Standards
School and programme requirements
Programme threads are linked throughout and include:
- Baby Friendly principles
- Medicines management
- Mental health and well-being
- Values Based Journey
Learning and Teaching
Teaching and learning methods
Practice experience is supported by direct supervision from midwifery assessors/supervisors and other professionals although you have supernumerary status you are expected to be involved in direct care. Opportunities exist in each practice experience for you to arrange additional learning experiences to meet your learning needs
- Application of research to practice workshops (normally 1 day per practice experience)
- Reflection in Practice day (normally 1 per practice experience)
- Blackboard resources
- Midwifery assessors/supervisors, student and cohort lead/academic tutor discussion in clinical practice as required
- Online resources including drug calculation practice
Covering a range of shift patterns across a 24 hour period Monday to Sunday inclusive.
|Practical classes and workshops||15|
|Completion of assessment task||3|
|Total study time||375|
Resources & Reading list
• Access to the local maternity services and where appropriate, wider health and social care services, for theoretical and skills rehearsal • Computer suites x 2 for on line Drug Calculation tests • 2 x Clinical Skills Days with midwifery student Practice Educator • 1x Research in Practice day with researcher • Mentor, student and cohort lead/academic tutor tripartite discussion in clinical practice (1 hour per student).
NMC (2009). Standards for Pre-registration Midwifery Education. NMC.
NMC (2012). Midwives Rules and Standards. NMC.
Care Quality Commission (2010). Essential standards for quality and safety. Care Quality Commission.
NMC (2009). Record Keeping: Guidance for Nurses and Midwives. NMC.
NMC (2010). Guidance on Conduct for Nursing and Midwifery Students. NMC.
NMC (2008). The Code: Standards of Conduct Performance and Ethics for Nurses and Midwives. NMC.
You are required to achieve a pass in the following core competencies before grading of practice takes place:
- Practises in accordance with The Code (NMC 2015)
- Understands the need to practice in a way which respects, promotes and supports individual rights, interests, preferences, beliefs and cultures
- Aware of the need for effective communication throughout the pre-conception, antenatal, intrapartum and post natal periods
- Maintains confidentiality of information
Inability to achieve these outcomes will constitute a referral overall. On achievement of P6 competencies, a Grading in Practice assessment will be completed by you and your midwifery assessors/supervisors. The percentage grade, awarded by your midwifery assessors/supervisors (40-100%), will contribute to your overall award outcome.
No repeat for practice and year requirement modules is permitted
This is how we’ll give you feedback as you are learning. It is not a formal test or exam.NMC competencies
This is how we’ll formally assess what you have learned in this module.
This is how we’ll assess you if you don’t meet the criteria to pass this module.
Repeat type: Internal