Aims and Objectives
Knowledge and Understanding
Having successfully completed this module, you will be able to demonstrate knowledge and understanding of:
- By the end of this module, students will understand the "Code of Practice for Research Degree Candidature and Supervision" of the University of Southampton, and be familiar with the requirements and stages for the awards of research degree.
- By the end of this module, students will employ the knowledge about research ethics, and understand the criteria for authorship and the responsibilities of authors.
- By the end of this module, students will understand the basic elements of a research article/report.
Subject Specific Practical Skills
Having successfully completed this module you will be able to:
- By the end of this module, students will employ the basic skills for scientific writing, including the skills for the presentation of research problems/methods, literature review, writing of abstract. introduction and conclusion, analysis of research results, etc.
- By the end of this module, students will employ the skills to analyze and review the published papers in their specific research areas.
- By the end of this module, students will employ the skills for time management.
The module includes 6 assignments followed by corresponding tutorial/discussion sessions on:
i)How to success your PhD;
ii)Efficient reading of research articles and writing of literature review;
iii)Review of research articles and writing of the main body of research articles;
iv)Writing of abstract and introduction;
v)Analysis of research results and writing of conclusions;
vi)Research ethics and authorship;
vii) Time management.
Learning and Teaching
Teaching and learning methods
- Six assignments;
- Six discussion sessions;
- Formative feedback.
|Online discussion forums||12|
|Total study time||36|
This is how we’ll formally assess what you have learned in this module.
|Coursework and Report||60%|