About this course
Enhance your knowledge of mobile and secure systems engineering, and develop the next generation of cyber security, sustainable energy production or smart medical equipment. Explore how mobile devices interact with wireless networks, and learn how to keep data secure and accurate. This electronic engineering course will let you design and build your own electronic systems. It will prepare you for a career in this dynamic and exciting industry.
This degree is accredited by the Institution of Engineering and Technology (IET). It provides a route to professional registration as a Chartered Engineer.
Our Electronic Engineering with Mobile and Secure Systems course links theory with new research and industry applications. You’ll gain the programming and mathematical skills for engineering, and learn about the components and systems that make electronic devices work.
You’ll specialise in cyber security and in the hardware and software design for mobile electronic systems. In years 3 and 4, you'll choose from a broad range of topics from across Electronics and Computer Science.
You’ll look at a range of systems and devices such as:
Our research facilities include:
£110m clean room
electronics lab with industry-standard equipment
As part of this secure systems and mobile engineering course you can:
analyse the features of hand-held devices using scenarios such as group gaming exercises
develop your enterprise skills with help from our startup supporter, Future Worlds
build your own unique electronic systems
take modules in quantum technology, robotics or nanomaterials
This degree is accredited by the Institution of Engineering and Technology on behalf of the Engineering Council for the purposes of fully meeting the academic requirement for registration as a Chartered Engineer.
If you’d prefer a more general approach, or you’d like to focus on a different specialism, you can choose from our other pathways.
- Electronic Engineering
- Complete theoretical and practical work, and learn key physics and programming skills, on this MEng Electronic Engineering degree. Become a Chartered Engineer.
- Electronic Engineering with Artificial Intelligence
- Explore new technologies on this integrated MEng Electronic Engineering with Artificial Intelligence master's. Prepare for a career as a Chartered Engineer.
- Electronic Engineering with Computer Systems
- Study programming and computer architecture on this MEng Electronic Engineering with Computer Systems integrated master's degree. Become a Chartered Engineer.
- Electronic Engineering with Nanotechnology
- Study the nanoscale, electronics and photonics on this integrated MEng Electronic Engineering with Nanotechnology degree. Become a Chartered Engineer.
- Electronic Engineering with Photonics
- Study the science and technology of light on this MEng Electronic Engineering with Photonics integrated master's degree. Become a Chartered Engineer.
- Electronic Engineering with Wireless Communications
- Learn about the technologies that connect us on this MEng Electronic Engineering with Wireless Communications master's degree. Become a Chartered Engineer.
This course is based at Highfield, Southampton.
This qualification is awarded by the University of Southampton.
Download the programme specification
The programme specification sets out the learning outcomes of this course and details how the course is taught and assessed.