About this course
Develop the next generation of cyber security, sustainable energy production or smart medical equipment. Explore how mobile devices interact with wireless networks, and learn how to keep data secure and accurate. This Electronic Engineering course will let you design and build your own electronic systems. It will prepare you for a career in this dynamic and exciting industry.
This degree is accredited by the Institution of Engineering and Technology (IET). It provides a route to professional registration as a Chartered Engineer.
Our Electronic Engineering with Mobile and Secure Systems course links theory with new research and industry applications. You’ll gain the programming and mathematical skills for engineering, and learn about the components and systems that make electronic devices work.
You’ll specialise in cyber security and in the hardware and software design for mobile electronic systems. In years 3 and 4, you'll choose from a broad range of topics from across Electronics and Computer Science.
You’ll look at a range of systems and devices such as:
Our research facilities include:
£110m clean room
electronics lab with industry-standard equipment
As part of this course you can:
analyse the features of hand-held devices using scenarios such as group gaming exercises
develop your enterprise skills with help from our startup supporter, Future Worlds
build your own unique electronic systems
take modules in quantum technology, robotics or nanomaterials
This degree is accredited by the Institution of Engineering and Technology on behalf of the Engineering Council for the purposes of fully meeting the academic requirement for registration as a Chartered Engineer.
If you’d prefer a more general approach, or you’d like to focus on a different specialism, you can choose from our other pathways.
- Electronic Engineering
- Study electronic engineering through theoretical and practical work, and learn key physics and programming skills, Prepare for a career as a Chartered Engineer.
- Electronic Engineering with Artificial Intelligence
- Study electronic engineering and focus on artificial intelligence. With many uses in emerging fields, you'll be prepared for a career as a Chartered Engineer.
- Electronic Engineering with Computer Systems
- Study programming and computer architecture on this electronic engineering and computer systems degree. Begin your path to Chartered Engineer status.
- Electronic Engineering with Nanotechnology
- Study electromagnetism and communications, and do an individual project on this integrated Masters degree. Prepare for a career as a Chartered Engineer.
- Electronic Engineering with Photonics
- Combine electronic engineering with photonics and gain key skills in this exciting, varied subject. Prepare for Chartered Engineer status.
- Electronic Engineering with Wireless Communications
- Study electronic engineering with wireless communications and gain the skills you need for a career as a Chartered Engineer on this accredited degree.
This course is based at Highfield, Southampton.
This qualification is awarded by the University of Southampton.
Download the programme specification
The programme specification sets out the learning outcomes of this course and details how the course is taught and assessed.